Sunday, January 15, 2017

Love Letter Review

*Ages 10+
*2-4 Players
*About 20 Minutes
*Bluffing/Deduction
*Seiji Kanai

Love Letter is a small card game. The deck is comprised of only sixteen cards, each having a special ability or action. The deck is shuffled and one card is set off to the side. Each player is dealt one card face down. On your turn, you draw a card, choose one card and place it in front of you, using it's ability. Play then continues to your left until only one person is left in the game, or no more cards are left to draw. The last player left, or the player with the highest numbered card, wins the round and gains an affection token. First player to obtain four tokens wins.

Shannon's Thoughts:

Favorite Number To Play With: I enjoy this game as a four player game best. The two player version was just not as much fun to me.

Favorite Character And Why: Card number 4, the Handmaid (or whatever your version's card is called). Having a round to sit and observe without being attacked is powerful.


Least Favorite Character And Why: Card number 3, the Baron. I find this card stays in my hand the longest because it can be hard to play.


Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like how this game is a fun and quick filler game. For me though, this game is tough because it calls for a good poker face, which I do not have! 

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I like the Countess' dress, and the version of the Princess wearing glasses.



Strategies: Like I said, I don't have a good poker face so I just play to have fun. 

Final Thoughts: This game is quick, simple, and small, so I can take it with me anywhere, and teach it to everyone. It's fun and it gets a lot of use. And with all the different versions out there, I think it's a great game for almost everyone.

8 out of 10 Stars

Amber's Thoughts:

Favorite Number To Play With: 3 or 4, tried as 2 it sucked.

Favorite Character And Why: I would say princess because it is the highest value, but that card makes you a target. So really, it depends on the version of love letter for the name, but I like #4 the Priestess (effect-until your next turn, ignore all effects that target you.) or #5 the Wizard (effect-target any player, including yourself. That player discards his hand and draws a new card from the deck).

Least Favorite Character And Why: Probably the #1 because I am bad at reading people so I guess them wrong or because there are 5 of them in the deck and I hate having 2 of them in my hand so I have to use one of them. I also dislike in the Hobbit version that the two number #3 s are different Legolas' and Tauriel's . Tauriels is my least favorite of all #3's. Her effect-you and another player secretly compare hands. The player with higher value is out of the round."

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that it is an easy filler game that people can pick up pretty quick and is short. I dislike when you draw and get the same card you already had in your hand again, but that is part of card games. Also since there are only 16 cards total I feel like the game easy for me to get burnt out on easily, but the good thing is there are lots of versions, so owning more than one version is nice 

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I don't have any real favorites.

Strategies: Order I like to play cards if I had a choice: Play your #4- sit and watch others. #2 look at someone else's card and hope for a #1 to kill them off. Play number #5 to get someone else to discard unless you have a #3 that you want to get rid of. Play #1 and hope you guess someone right. I normally hold onto #6, 7, and 8's in hopes to beat someone in the end. Now that I say all this, I may have to switch up this strategy so Shannon or our husbands don't know and knock me out! :D 

Final Thoughts: Good game, personally my group uses it a LOT as a filler game for the end of the night or between more strategic games, so I get burnt out on it sometimes. Overall I like the game though!

7(Hobbit)/8(Premium and Original) out of 10 Stars 

(Version reviewed here are the Konai Factory Limited Edition, Love Letter: The Hobbit- Battle of The Five Armies, and the 2-4 players card from Love Letter Premium.)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment