Thursday, January 5, 2017

Mysterium Review

*Ages 10+
*2-7 Players
*About 40 Minutes
*Cooperative
*Oleksandr Nevskiy & Oleg Sidorenko

In Mysterium, one person takes the roll of the ghost who has seven hours, or rounds, to communicate to the other players, who are psychics, just who the killer is. They do this by giving the psychics vision cards to convey who was there, where they were, and what they had with them. If the psychics are able to figure that out, then the ghost has one final chance to enlighten the psychics to who the killer is with three final vision cards. The psychics then vote on who they think it is based on the number of cards they've earned the right to see. If the majority votes correctly, all players win.


Shannon's Thoughts:

Favorite Number To Play With: I like this game with four or more players. The two player version just fell flat for me. It just wasn't as much fun without other players to discuss things with.

Favorite Character And Why: I enjoy playing as a psychic (Madam Wang) the best. I love the challenge of figuring out the ghost's clues.


Least Favorite Character And Why: The ghost! As much as I love this game, I find that I am terrible at giving out clues. I still enjoy playing as the ghost though. 

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like the challenge of looking at the vision cards and trying to figure out what the ghost wants to tell you. At the same time, the ghost sometimes misses things that the psychics see because their cards are smaller. 

Favorite Art Or Pieces: This game is full of beautiful artwork. Here are a few of my favorites!


Strategies: Discussing cards with the other psychics who may catch a connection that you miss.

Final Thoughts: I first heard Mysterium described as a combination of Clue and Dixit. I love that comparison, and have used it myself to describe Mysterium to others. This game can be tough, but extremely fun. It has quickly become one of my top ten games. 

9 out of 10 Stars

Amber's Thoughts:

Favorite Number to Play With: 4+

Favorite Character And Why: As the ghost, I like looking at the pictures on the vision cards to then give the psychics clues. If I am playing a psychic I pick yellow (Alma Salvador).

Least Favorite Character And Why: I don't have one.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like having the crows to get a new set of vision cards, but I tend to not use them because I think, but I want to save this card for the next psychic's cards for location or object and we are still on the character ghost cards. I dislike the size of the cards as ghost, because I tend to miss little details like a vase or treasure box or doll, and the psychics see it. You also need to make sure you have good lighting as ghost to help make sure you don't miss little details.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I love the art on the vision and psychic cards.

Final Thoughts: The game is similar to Dixit which I like and similar to Clue which I also like! I love being the ghost! Love the artwork. One of my top ten favorite games.

9 out of 10 Stars  

(Pictures contain cards found in the base game, and the expansion Hidden Signs. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment