Friday, February 24, 2017

Ticket To Ride Review

*Ages 8+
*2-5 Players
*30-60 Minutes
*Family
*Alan R. Moon
*Ticket To Ride App Available

Everyone gets dealt 3 route cards and you must keep at least 2. Then once everyone has chosen their routes, you start taking individual turns. On your turn, you can draw more train route cards and keep at least one, draw  two colored train cards (or one wild card), or play colored train cards to place your trains. When playing colored train cards to claim part of your route, you must have the correct number and color matching your route location. When a player has 2 or less trains, that triggers the last round, and everyone, including the person who triggered the end, gets 1 last turn. Then everyone reveals their routes, and you add up the completed routes to their score and subtract any uncompleted routes.


Amber's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: 2-3 so the board doesn't get over run.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that even though you can't control everything, you have a lot of choices of what to do. You get to choose your routes and how you get it all to connect. I like the planning and watching my train grow. I like the challenge of, do I take more routes, do I take the wild because I haven't seen the color I need, or do I try and redo my route for the color of cards I have? I like that it is a solid game that is easy for most people over the age of 8 to play. I have moments of dislike because when someone else is continually taking my planned route I get frustrated but that happens to me like 1 in 7 games maybe, and it is when I think, well you've got to claim the 1 and 2 train parts of your route ASAP!

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I like the colors and the details on the route and train cards. 


Strategies: There are a couple of good strategies that I have tried out- playing with longest train, so making all your routes be 1 long continuous train. Another strategy my husband and step daughter like is most routes completed, so grabbing as many short routes as you can.

Final Thoughts: One of my top favorite games! I like watching my train grow longer and longer. Also I like the mental challenge of making all my routes connect into one very long train. I also like how, when playing with my step daughter, you can use the strategy of getting the most routes completed.

9 out of 10 Stars

Shannon's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: I have enjoyed playing this the most as a two player game on the app best. That's just about the only time I play this game anymore.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: It gets really frustrating when you have your route planned out and other people take the ones you need and you can't do what you need to anymore to connect your cities.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: My favorite color is black, so I enjoy when a game has black pieces that I can use.


 Strategies: Just trying to pick routes that work well together.

Final Thoughts: This game is okay, but it's not one of my favorites. For me, there are just too many other games that I will pick before I choose this one. I feel it's a good game to teach to beginning gamers, a gateway game. I plan on teaching this one to my kids soon though, so maybe I will find a new love of the game after I do.


6 out of 10 Stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment