Friday, May 12, 2017

Onirim Review

*Ages 14+
*1-2 Players
*About 15 Minutes
*Strategy/Cooperative
*Shadi Torbey
*Game app available

Onirim is a card game which can be played as a solitary game or as a cooperate 2 player game. In the solitary game, you draw five cards from the deck into your hand. The goal is to get two doors of all four colors down on the table. You do that by 1) playing three continuous cards of the same color (but matching symbols cannot touch) down, or 2) drawing a door card while you have a key card in your hand and discarding the key card to play the door. When drawing back up to 5 cards in your hand, you may sometimes draw a nightmare card. When this happens you have 4 choices of what to do, 1) discard a key card from your hand, 2) discard all cards from your hand and draw 5 new cards, 3) discard the top five cards of the draw deck, and 4) discard a door card you have already earned. When you draw a new set of five cards into your hand, set aside all door cards and nightmare cards and shuffle them back into the draw pile. You can trigger a prophecy by discarding a key card. That let's you look at the next five cards of the deck, discard one, and rearrange the other four in any order, and place them back on top of the deck.
When played as a cooperative 2 player game, each player needs a set of all four door cards, and you have shared resource cards and personal resource cards to use. When you use a card from the resource cards, and you go to replace it, nightmare cards are set to the side and shuffled back in the draw deck. 

Shannon's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: Honestly, this one if fun as a one player game and as a two player game. I play it more as a one player though.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I love this game, but the constant shuffling involved can get a little aggravating. I feel like I spend more time shuffling than anything else. I am so happy that they have this as an app now, because I can play much quicker and I don't have to do all that shuffling!

Favorite Art Or Pieces: All of it! I love the cute theme of this game and all it's artwork. I have the edition that comes with this figure that I think is absolutely adorable too!


Strategies: Try to get brown and green doors first since there are not as many of their cards. Also to hold onto keys whenever I can for the nightmares. In a two player game, I like to use cards from the resouce cards on the table so nightmares just get shuffled back in.

Final Thoughts: I love this game! It's quick and fun, the artwork is beautiful, and I can play many times in a row and not get tired of it. It's also very challenging. I win just about as much as I lose, but I still enjoy playing.

8 out of 10 Stars

Amber's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: 2...not tried 1 player yet. 

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that you can use cards from the middle shared cards or your 3 face up cards to play in your row and if a nightmare comes up it get shuffled back in!

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I like the modern feel of the doors cards...they kind of remind me of the slanted door in the movie Big Fish.

Strategies: I like the advice an Instagramer gave me about how there are less brown and green Cards compared to red and blue. Also like I said on the mechanics part, there are less of brown and green, so I suggest putting them and a key in the middle in a 2 player game so you both access them if needed.

Final Thoughts: I really like this 2 player game...I think it is an easy one to learn and I like that it comes with 7 Expansions in the box!

7 out of 10 Stars    



No comments:

Post a Comment