Sunday, June 11, 2017

New Games Weekend #1

We had so much fun learning all kinds of new games during International Table Top Day, that we decided to dedicate a few weekends this year to learning new games. For our first New Games Weekend, we decided to use games that we already own and learn as many of them as we could fit into Friday Night and Saturday.

Friday Night

Macroscope- We started off the night with a game that Amber received in the mail just a few hours earlier. It was a Kickstarter game that she was really looking forward to getting and playing.
Amber- I thought it was cool, because I kept thinking I need to make a guess or I set up Shannon to make a guess...but if I am wrong I lose points...but at the same time it could be a major pay off if I am right. I do wish the cards were thicker and not as paper thin.
Shannon- This game reminded me of the old game Concentration that I played as a kid. It was fun trying to figure out what the pictures were. Hopefully they will have expansions for this one eventually, or I can see it having limited replay-ability.

Timeline: Americana- Next we played Timeline, which Amber has played before, but Shannon has not. 
Amber- This is always a short and fun game to me. Americana isn't my favorite of the ones I own (World History, Americana, and Inventions). I normally lean toward World History but Americana is second.
Shannon- I knew going into this game that I would not be a very big fan. I am terrible with dates in history, so I lost this game... three times in a row! Not one that I would choose to pick up myself, but I can see how people would enjoy this game.

Above And Below- Last we learned Above And Below. One of the many games in Shannon's need to learn pile.
Amber- I loved reading the scenarios. I felt like the first 2 rounds I had one extra person and not enough money and then the last 2 rounds I had not enough people.
Shannon- I have been looking forward to this game for a while now. I had seen other games with the same concept of being met with a decision to make and have wanted to get them, but Above and Below was the first game like this that I picked up. It was as much fun as I had hoped it would be, and I would love to pick up more games like it. 

Saturday    

The Lord of the Rings LCG- We started off Saturday learning The Lord of the Rings LCG. This game was a little confusing at first to learn, but by the end of the game we knew what we were doing. 
Shannon- This game has been on my shelf for a few years now, and I'm so glad we finally got around to learning it. I love The Lord of the Rings, and I enjoyed playing this game. I can see myself getting some expansions for this in the future.
Amber- First 45 minutes of watching videos on setup up and the first turn, I thought not a fan. But once we knew the turn sequence, and got about 4 turns under our belt, I was enjoying the game more. I liked the feel of it being co-op and a 2 player game. Also, this is a game I have wanted to learn for a while because SO MANY other bloggers and pod casts and gamers give it really good reviews.

Coin Quest- Next we wanted a game that would be a little easier to learn, so we learned Coin Quest. (One of the games that Amber won in a give-a-way.) 
Shannon- This game was easy to pick up and play. The auction part of the game was fun, but I'm not sure how much I really like this game. It was okay, and I'd like to play it with more than two players before I make my mind up on it.
Amber- This one is the game I won from RnR games. It is a solid game, not one I think is a must have but it is a good game. I kept forgetting the order of bidding, i.e. Gold wins, then silver wins, then copper, NO matter if the total of your silver is 3 and then gold is 1, the gold wins. I want to try this game with more people and I think with a kid(s) it would be more fun too.

Mystic Vale- After that we learned Mystic Vale, currently the last game in Amber's collection to learn.
Shannon- I knew going into this game that I was going to love it, and I'm glad I was right. I love being able to build your cards as you go. It was easy to learn, and a whole lot of fun.
Amber- I liked the game, glad I own it! I think getting the cards that give you victory points for when you harvest, is a great starter strategy and trying to get spirits early to get vale cards early. I enjoyed the card building aspect of the game.

Medieval Academy- Last we picked up Medieval Academy. Another one of Shannon's many games to learn. It was another easy one to learn how to play.
Shannon- This game was fun. I liked that it had card drafting in it, and I can't wait to play it with more than two players to see how that changes the game.
Amber- I liked the game, I think it is a solid drafting game and that the tiles score at different rounds. I also think it would be a step up from Sushi Go! drafting to teach someone before teaching like 7Wonders.

We had a lot of fun this weekend learning a lot of our unplayed games. We hope to do this a few more times over the summer since Shannon still has 23 games in her collection to learn and we both continue to buy more games when we can. We would also like to go to our local game store and learn more of their demo games. Click the links to any game to learn more about them on the BoardGameGeek website.            

No comments:

Post a Comment