Monday, June 19, 2017

One Deck Dungeon Review

*Ages 14+
*1-2 Players
*About 30 Minutes
*Dungeon Crawl/Cooperative
*Chris Cieslik

One Deck Dungeon is a simple card version of a dungeon crawl. It can be played as a solitaire game, or as a cooperative two player game. Pick the player you want to be for the game and get the dice shown on the card. Pick a boss monster to fight and get ready to play. Each turn you can either explore (set out up to four card face down on the play area) or open a door. When you open a door, flip over one of the cards on the table and choose to either fight it, roll your dice and fill in the blanks on the card taking all penalties for uncovered blanks,and placing the card on your skills, items, potions, or for leveling up, or you can flee from it. When you come to the stairs at the end of the dungeon deck, you can descend to the next level of the dungeon, shuffle all discarded dungeon cards and make a new dungeon deck and start again. When you get to the last level, you must fight the monster at the end of the dungeon. If you can defeat the monster before it kills you, you win!

Amber's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: I playing with 1 or 2 players.

Favorite Character And Why: It is hard for me not to pick Rogue or Archer because of their cool  looks...I know shallow, but I like to think I am in Rogue 1 from Star Wars or Katness Everdean from Hunger Games! 


Least Favorite Character And Why: Caliana, it is cool that they give you a free character online and all, but she can't take damage! At least like 2 health in a one player would be nice! 


Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that after you roll you can add 2 dice to equal a black dice. I also like that each encounter you have multiple options of what to use the loot for like an item, potion, skill, or towards leveling up. 

Favorite Art Or Pieces: The Phoenix Den, but only because I feel like Phoenix's are a pretty cool creature.


Strategies: Try and use cards as items if they have a heart and dice, try and use potion cards to build up your potions for if you take damage, and use the rest to level up or for skills.  I do suggest you read the skills carefully because some of them can be good, even if they have a heart read them to see if the heart or the skill fits better for your Dungeon.

Final Thoughts: The rules aren't always very clear, like there have been a few times they don't answer my question. I.E. on the dodge skill does it just dodge for the character who has the skill or for the team like in the boss battle when it dodges 2 hearts. Also the newest One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows just finished up on Kick Starter and I bought it.

8 out of 10 Stars

Shannon's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: I have currently only played this as a two player game. Though I am really excited about trying it as a one player game soon.

Favorite Character And Why: The Warrior or the Paladin. I like how the Warrior starts off with an extra heart which can be useful and, whenever she takes damage, she gains a black die. I like the Paladin's skill of gaining a black die when opening a high door.

Least Favorite Character And Why: Caliana! It's so hard not to take damage and she dies if she takes any damage at all!

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that this can be played solo as well as cooperative with two people. I like how you can build up more cards that will help you out in the game. But, as with all dice rolling games, sometimes you lose simply because you can't get the numbers you need when you roll and that can be frustrating sometimes.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: The character cards look really cool. I like how each character is unique and different.

Strategies: See what dice we need for the final battle and pick characters that compliment each other dice wise. Also take items when they have a heart with them instead of just the added die, so you get more life points, and get as many potions as you can, because you are going to need them.

Final Thoughts: This game was described to me as a simple card version of a dungeon crawl and I was sold. Now that I have it and I have played it, I love it. It's a small game so it's easy to pack and take with you and it's a whole lot of fun. I can't wait for more expansions for this game to come out!

8 out of 10 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment