Monday, July 17, 2017

Rise Of Augustus Review

*Ages 8+
*2-6 Players
*About 30 Minutes
*Card Drafting/Set Collecting
*Paolo Mori

Rise of Augustus has a bingo style element of pulling tiles from a bag that you call out and players mark the matching symbol on their cards. Each player starts with three card and seven meeples, and each card has a different set of symbols to cover, and a majority have special abilities or benefits (like getting an extra meeple, getting to have an extra card, or making others destroy one card). When you complete a card you say "Ave Caesar!" and if more than one person finishes a card at one time, then the player who completed the lower number cards picks a new card first. You can get bonuses for being the first to complete a set of 3 of the same color, or one of each color. You can also get bonuses for being the one to have completed the most cards with wheat or gold on them. Also, you can take a bonus card for the amount of cards that you have completed, but you only get one of the bonus cards, so once you take one you can't get another one even if you finish another card. The first person to get 7 cards completed ends the game, and everyone totals their score, highest number of points wins.

Amber's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: I enjoy playing with 3-6 players

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like the different symbols and the theme. I don't always like that each card has a number and it felt like the first like 10 times I played the game, I would lose a bonus because someone else had a lower card number than I, so they would grab the bonus.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I like the simple theme drawn on the cards.


Strategies: Try to pick cards that are lower numbered and give you the most points. There isn't really a great strategy that I have found due to the odds of pulling out tiles from a bag.

Final Thoughts: Over all my husband and step daughter like the game more than me. It can be a simple game to teach new gamers or a younger group of gamers.

6 out of 10 Stars

Shannon's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: I have not played this one with only two people, but I do enjoy this with pretty much every other number of players. I think this is one that is good with whatever number you play with.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I do enjoy the bingo-like aspect of this game. It can be frustrating when the tiles you want aren't getting pulled out of the bag though.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I'm a fan of unique meeples, so I like the meeples in this game.

Strategies: If I can, I get an easy to finish, low point card done first so I have a card that I won't be upset to get rid of if someone has a card that makes me destroy a card. After that, it's just trying to make sure you get cards that play off each other. I don't want to take a card that lets me put two meeples on daggers if I don't have at least one other card that has a dagger on it.

Final Thoughts: This game is fun, and it's easy enough that I can teach it to beginner gamers. My kids also love this one, so it's also a good family game.

7 out of 10 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment