Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Space Alert Review

*Ages 12+
*1-5 Players
*About 30 Minutes
*Cooperative
*Vlaada Chvatil
*Mission Generator App Available

Space Alert is a real time cooperative game. There is a board in the middle of the table representing your space ship. Each player is given a player board to play their action cards on. This game requires either a cd player, download, or app to play a ten minute segment. The segment will tell you when you put out threat cards, draw another card, pass a card to another player, and when each phase ends. There are three phases, in each phase you lay down cards to either 1) move or 2) preform certain actions. All these cards are played face down. At the end of the ten minute segment, you then go through each step of each phase one at a time and see what everyone actually did.

Shannon's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: 4 or 5. I like having more people to help get everything done. I have tried this as a solo game and as a two player and there's just too much going on, that I like having more people to help take care of things, or it's just too hectic and crazy.


Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I love the craziness of this game. People are quickly trying to figure out what they need to do when, and it can get very hectic, but that's what I love about it. Also, I love that all your cards are placed face down, so you don't know if everyone actually did what you think they did until the very end.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: The components in this game are well made.


Strategies: Try to listen to what everyone is saying. Have different people be in charge of certain things so it's a little easier to know who is doing what.

Final Thoughts: This game is a lot of crazy fun! I have enjoyed it every time we set it out to play. Even when we lose or one person plays something wrong that makes us lose, it's still fun, so I don't mind losing. And it's quick to play. Though I will say you need to be in the right mood sometimes because of it's hectic pace!

8 out of 10 Stars

Amber's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: I prefer 4, I haven't tried with 3 people, but I did play with Shannon as a 2 player and did not enjoy trying to run my person and help with 2 bots.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that each person gets a special gold card. I like that each mission is different from it being internal/external threat, serious/regular threat, and the number of threats that come during the round. I dislike personally having to pick up the bots and/or go into the interceptors. 

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I like the look of the ship, I think it looks colorful and simple. 

Strategies: Make sure someone does jiggles the mouse, and try to count out when thing will hit the different axis. Try to talk through with your team who is getting what. 

Final Thoughts: I love the 10 minutes of chaos, then you replay the game to find out if you really won or died. I feel like the game has great replay value with all the cards and mission recordings.

8 out of 10 Stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment