Monday, August 7, 2017

Ice Cool Review

*Ages 6+
*2-4 Players
*About 20 Minutes
*Dexterity
*Brian Gomez

Ice Cool is a dexterity game where you are trying to keep your penguin away from the catcher. The catcher starts anywhere in the kitchen (the room on the top left). Taking turns each player who is not the catcher places their penguin in the school room (bottom right room) on the red dot and then flicks their penguin one time. Ideally you are trying to get your penguin out of that room through a door to collect all your penguin's fish that are above the three doorways. When you get through a door with your fish above it you collect a fish card from the draw stack. Once each runner has had a turn flicking, then the catcher gets one turn to flick their penguin to try and catch the other players. If the catcher catches a player (hit their penguin into another penguin) they take their ID card. The round ends when the catcher has all the other player's ID cards, or one person has gotten through each door to collect all three of their fish. Then you get to draw a fish card for each ID you have. Once everyone has had one turn being the catcher the game is over and you count up all your points on the fish cards and the person with the most wins.

Amber's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With: 3 or 4 players, never played with just 2 people. 

Mechanics I Like And Dislike: I like that there is almost no prior skill needed to flick a penguin around a board. Some times you flick good and some times it hurts your finger and you don't flick good.

Favorite Art Or Pieces: I really like the character cards, or as the kids I play with call them your license or ID.


Strategies: If someone else flicked before you go towards a different room so the catcher has to choose who to go after. Try your best to line up your flick with a door to collect your fish. Also if you get ice skates and you are in the room with the catcher and haven't lost your ID, USE THE ICE SKATES AND TRY TO GET OUT!

Final Thoughts: Laugh a lot, be silly, and have fun. Because it is a kids game and you should enjoy it win or lose. 

7 out of 10 Stars

Shannon's Thoughts:
Favorite Number To Play With:  I like this game with at least 3 or 4 people.

Mechanics I Like And Dislike:  I enjoy that this game gets my kids up and moving around a little bit while they play. Though sometimes it can make everyone's fingers hurt from flicking the penguins so much!

Favorite Art Or Pieces:  I really love the wobbly little penguins in this game.


Strategies: Honestly, it doesn't do me a whole lot of good to have a strategy in this game. My penguin usually doesn't go where I want it to go, so I just have fun when I play this game, and I don't overthink it. It's just a fun game to play with my kids.

Final Thoughts: This game is a great game to play with kids. It's easy to learn, and just a lot of fun to play.

7 out of 10 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment